Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Day 12: Almost home

Yay Emily! She's doing great and looks like everything is on track for her to finally join her sibs in keeping her parents busy.

We visited her for what we hope is the last time in the NICU tonight. She ate well, got a new outfit and nodded off to sleep.

Since I know the NICU nurses will read this, let me express again what I said early on. Our three children were initially cared for by a wonderful staff of truly professional people who define the term "caregivers". They could not have been more helpful or patient with two new parents who were struggling to figure out how to suddenly care for three tiny little babies. I remember thinking how small and fragile they looked and being more than a little afraid of accidentally doing something wrong or inadvertently hurting them. They got us past the initial fears and worries, told us it'd be OK and helped us do as much as we could to care for them. I know they will miss having the Ayres triplets around to care for, but it looked tonight like they had plenty to keep them busy. I'm glad they had some time with our children, I know Amy and I appreciate everything they did for us and the beans.

When we got home from the NICU we decided to stay up for Noah and Sydney's midnight feeding. Now that they're taken care of, Amy and I are going to sleep and wait impatiently for the time tomorrow when we can bring our first-born home at last.

...now the fun *really* begins...

-John

No comments: